Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 19:16:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        owner-freebsd-arch@freebsd.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cross compilation goals.

> I've just read the rest of the thread, and need to amplify the non
> goal and state it as follows:
>
> 	1) It will not necessarily be a goal of this effort to produce a
> 	   FreeBSD source tree that can be compiled on a non-FreeBSD
> 	   system.  You will not necessarily be able to build a FreeBSD
> 	   system on a Solaris system, for example.

I think it would have been very useful to the Alpha porting effort
if it had been possbile to build FreeBSD on DEC UNIX.

I still think it would be useful to seperate the compilation tools
themselves (e.g. not the ancillary support tools, like bmake or
binstall).  Consider the performance of FreeBSD Alpha when compiled
with the much better DEC Compiler, for example.

> I'd like to add the following non-goal for the current effort:
>
> 	2) It will not necessarily be a goal of this effort to produce
> 	   binaries for Non-FreeBSD systems on a FreeBSD system.

I can agree with this one, although it is somewhat of a shame to
lose this generalization.  In particular, Linux cross-compilation
is attractive from several vantage points, not the least of which
is the commercial libraries available on Linux.

> I agree with Marcel that the current set of goals is to make
> cross-building work rather than the more generic and slightly
> different cross-compilation problem.

Yup.

> Don't get me wrong.  In the long term world, I'd love to see the
> ability to make binaries for other systems (within reason) in FreeBSD,
> but I'm not sure that is a current goal given our time horizons.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.