Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 15:34:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>
Cc:        absinthe <absinthe@pobox.com>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Java on FreeBSD)

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Dylan writes:
>
> > Are you saying you don't want FreeBSD useable
> > by commercial applications?
>
> No.  I'm saying that you should use the appropriate tool for the job.  I don't
> believe in developing religious attachments to software.
>
> If you need Java, and FreeBSD doesn't support it, either you need to find an
> operating system that does, or you need to find someone who will write Java
> support for you under FreeBSD.  Another option is to add Java support to FreeBSD
> yourself, and then give it away, or sell it.  Make sure you pay for any
> necessary licenses, of course.
>
> > Java is a solid, multi-platform language under
> > a good license ...
>
> My understanding is that a Java license costs money, and that this is why
> FreeBSD does not include it.

Your understanding is flawed. The freebsd-java archives contain in
bitter detail all the (legal) reasons why there isn't (yet!) a binary
distribution of Sun's JDK for FreeBSD.

The native 1.3.1 JDK (latest patchset) works pretty well; however, you'd
be advised to followup to -java if you've any questions about stability
for production use.

> I have yet to see any application written in Java that was not a nightmare to
> use.  It sets new records for slowness and clumsiness.

...just like LISP and Prolog, eh? Java isn't just a naive interpreter
these days.

	Having said that, I've seen an EJB "solution"* introduce a factor 60
	slowdown to an app running on hardware 10 times faster than what it
	replaced :-)

> Worse yet, the motivation for using Java is selfish:  It cuts development time,
> but increases the resources required for the end user, and slows the application
> down.  So software gets out the door quicker (and the developer receives checks
> sooner), but the resulting software runs like a dog, and end users must pay for
> the extra time and hardware to run it.  This is why I will not buy any
> application written in Java; why should _I_ pay to save the _developer's_ time
> and money?

Fast turn-around for server apps is why any organisations are using
Java. It's not the language, per se, it's the frameworks and APIs for it
that make it worthwhile. There are a lot of Java code-monkeys out there,
and it's very easy to get them up and running and producing useful
components.

jan

* solution = watered-down version of something neat. Application tuning
  helped some, but do-it-all-for-you frameworks don't replace good
  design (they don't necessarily hinder it, either).

HP-unix: Open Sauce product, available in 57 distributions.