Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 1996 09:42:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        CEG@merc.pb.bielsko.pl (Krzysztof Cegielski)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I'm new in X ...

Krzysztof Cegielski wrote...

> Hi!
>
> I'm new X-Windows user and i have few questions:
>
>   - How change view of X-Windows windows (borders, colors, etc.) ?
>   - Is something like Desktop in Windows 95 or OS/2 in X-Windows
> with icons, documents, and folders on it ?

All of these questions relate to your window manager.  In X, the window
manager is a program which provides window frames, control buttons, etc.
If you're running the basic X installation - this means that your window
manager is twm.  In order to create a more interesting environment, you need
several things -

1.	A more interesting window manager.  Several are available as ports
	or packages - look in the x11 subdirectory.  I use ctwm, tvtwm and
	olvwm are popular.

2.	Some add-on programs.  I use xfm - which is a kind of combined
	program manager / file manager.  There is also xdtm in the ports
	collection.

>   - Is it possible to put picture on desktop' background ?

Absolutely.  The command 'xsetroot -bitmap <bitmap file>' tiles the
background with the picture in <bitmap file>.  Check out 'xearth' (port
or package) for a really cool background.

>   - Where can I find some books about X-Windows ? (f.e. User Guide or
> something like this)

My Recommendation is 'X User Tools' by Linda Mui and Valeria Quercia.  It's
an O'Reilly and Associates book (ISBN 1-56592-019-8) which should be just
what you need.

>   - At instalation time there was prepared a 'xconfig' file.
>         What is in this file ?

Information to get the X-windows server to run on your hardware.

>         Where it is ?

Usually in /etc.  It's called XF86Config

>         How to make some changes in it ?

With _extreme_ caution :-)  It's a text file, you edit it and restart X.
Normally, X refuses to come up because you broke something...

Good luck,

John
--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key