Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 10:08:53 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interesting sysctl variables in Mac OS X with hw info

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 08:46:46PM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > I thought it was a real bad thing to run CPUs in SMP systems at different
> > clock rates.  In fact, I never thought it was possible.  I know I can't on
> > my old 2-way P166 box, but things have changed a lot since '91.
>
> It depends on the stepping, and that the external interfaces
> are all the same (voltage, clock speed for memory and I/O,
> etc.).
>
> PIII's can run this way, for sure.

This is a perfect example of, "Just because you can do something,
doesn't mean you should."

I wouldn't see anything wrong with grabbing the clock frequency of the
first cpu in the system and noting in the man page that if you have
multiple cpus and you aren't running them at the same frequency, then
the reported value is applicable only to the first cpu.

This would save a ton of time in implementing Jordan's ideas, at the
cost of not being able to deal correctlywith a situation that
(hopefully) isn't too common in the field.  The other less tangible
 disadvantage to my suggestion is that it takes us one step further in our
single-cpu-centric userland, ala top, uptime, and so forth only
displaying stats for "one" cpu.

Josh