Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 1997 10:48:18 -0700
From:      "Pedro Giffuni S," <giffunip@asme.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, bartol@salk.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem compiling for linux under compat_linux

Mike Smith wrote:

<most snipped>
> >  I've never thought running a Linux compiler in
> > a compat directory would work because it would invoke FreeBSD pieces
> > for hidden components.
>
> It doesn't.  About the only time you trip up is when something like
> autoconf goes looking for things (most especially ranlib) and finds the
> FreeBSD version because there isn't a Linux one.

I've always thought we should use crosscompilers (like SCO's) and not
emulated native compilers. It has the advantage of not requiring
emulation and of handling better autoconf.
I would like to hear some feedback if I should build a Linux crossgcc,
like I did for SCO. Beware, the native Linux compiler has two advantages
that I know of:
1) It comes out of the box with all the libraries required for X and
network support, something that would require additional packages for a
FreeBSD crosscompiler.
2) It behaves exactly like the original compiler and is always a good
way of testing the emulator :^).

	Pedro.