Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 1996 21:45:02 -0600
From:      Sly <riff_one@athenet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   seeking a little advice of libraries

I am trying to get "suck" to use the dbz library functions from
the "inn" library(libinn.a).  "suck" uses this to check the history
file.  When I try to compile suck it can't "attach/link" to the
dbz functions in "libinn.a".(ie: undefined symbol)

My questions at this point are mostly related to what the different
library files are and how to use them.  Specifically what is a lib
file such as "lib???.a" and what is a lib file such as "lib???.so.1.0".
The inn make files create a libinn.a, but no libinn.so.1.0.  What are
the
requirements for a file to access functions in these libraries.

Lastly what is a good source of information discussing this topic.

Thanks for your time

Brian
riff_one@athenet.net