Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 05:28:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, torfinn.ingolfsen@oslo.online.no
Subject:   Re: Two FreeBSDs on same disk, booting secondary slice?

>From: "Torfinn Ingolfsen" <torfinn.ingolfsen@oslo.online.no>
>Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 13:50:59 +0100

>My work laptop (an IBM ThinkPad X20) has serveral OS'es
>installed. I have Win2K, Mandrake Linux and FreeBSD.

>For various reasons, I wish to have 2 FreeBSD installations on
>this disk. FreeBSD 4.3 is installed on slice 3 (ad0s3), and
>FreeBSD 4.4 is installed on slice 4 (ad0s4). (This will have
>FreeBSD-current on it later, for testing purposes).

OK; I've been doing something along these lines on my laptop (and
ubsequently, on my build machine).  See
http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/laptop.html (a little more than
halfway down the page) for my deathless prose on the topic.

>The problem is, when FreeBSD boots, it automatically takes the
>first FreeBSD slice and boots from that.

That has not been my experience.

>How do I make the boot process automatically boot from the slice
>I've choosen in the boot menu?
>if I interrupt the boot process, I can always set curredev, unload and
>load the kernel, but that isn't good enough.

I've never needed to do that, as far as I can tell -- and I've been
using this setup to build & boot -STABLE & -CURRENT daily for quite a
while.  Granted, I've only been running (different versions of) FreeBSD,
so that may have some bearing on what I'm seeing.  And I'm using the
FreeBSD-default boot loader.

>For info, I'm using LILO as the boot loader, and I specify the correct
>partition ("slice") there, slice 3 is hda3 and slice 4 is hda4. But,
>when the FreeBSD boot loader starts, it still boots the first
>FreeBSD slice. For various reasons, I do not wish to use booteasy,
>if I can avoid it.

OK; I'll sympathize, but these are the only 2 salient differences I can
think of.

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.