Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 12:23:40 +0100 (MET)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        sunil@cc.gatech.edu (Sunil Upendra Khaunte)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: SOCKETS v/s TLI

Sunil Upendra Khaunte writes:

> Can anyone inform me on the major differences and similarities
> between the Sockets i/f of BSD UNIX and AT&Ts TLI interface?

This line was 124 characters long, so I've taken the liberty of
reformatting it as a paragraph.  Please try to keep line lengths down
below 80 characters.

Probably your best source of information on this is Steven's "UNIX
Network Programming" (Prentice-Hall), which goes into some detail on
both.

> Is there any situation wherein TLI would be a better choice over Sockets??

Depends on who you ask :-)  Seriously, it makes more sense on newer
System V systems, since sockets are just an emulation library on top
of STREAMS.  I think TLI's a pain to program, though.

Greg