Date:      Mon, 03 Nov 1997 11:52:36 -0500
From:      cliff ainsworth III <cliff@cliffsworld.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: Turning PCs into Workstations

Just a thought....

Then why don't we  go with the "FreeBSD....the Power to Serve" (unless that
one has been taken) its short, professional sounding and powerful. Which is
what FreeBSD is from a concept and functional standpoint. And something the
.org would like to market itself to the rest of the computing community as.
All the submissions have been great. But if there a trade show, I am
guessing it has to be a bit toned down and not a takeoff on other slogans,
its too easy to considered non-professional with a shot at somebody else's
slogan. However, its those funny slogans (usually the best ones) that are
great for the other shows such as Def-Con and the H.O.P.E. cons where the
other professionals show up.

If anybody caught this months BOOT magazine. We all just took a hit. In
there article about windows alternative O/Ses. They rated a number of the
them. With Linux being the hard core original radical hacker O/S. Linux was
also shipped on this months cd-rom. Wouldn't it have been nice if they
shipped FreeBSD instead. That would have been a great boost for all of us.
The quote was something like "the free unix community is looked upon as a
group of radical commie something or 'nothers" I cannot remember the exact
sentence. And we certainly weren't being put on any pedestal. (linux
included). FreeBSD was mentioned only once as part of a sentence. Linux,
Open DOS, Be, Rhapsody, OS/2 all got half page reviews. Personally, I think
BOOT is more windoze slanted because of its gaming type articles.

For trade shows. I think we should keep it short simple and professional.
We have a lot of corporate bureaucracy to overcome.

For the rest of us....keep it fun

>> Do we have to limit ourselves to one slogan?  I agree it (they) should
>> be short, but there's no reason always to use the same one.  For
>
>Not at all, but it's also not likely that we'll have many
>opportunities for doing new banners in the future and we're probably
>best off settling on one slogan for there, perhaps using some of the
>others at trade shows and such.

see ya!!!

-cliff

<http://www.cliffsworld.com><http://www.openthrottle.com>;
PGP v5.0 public key       <http://www.cliffsworld.com/flash>;

"This is what I get for using humans....
  Now wait a minute, I wrote you........
  I've gotten 2,415 times smarter since then"   -Tron 1982