Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 13:55:28 -0400
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        gnome-list@gnome.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome INSANE shared memory usage

On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 08:22:00PM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:

> Hmm, where my crystal ball... Aha, I see - probably you are using
> Xfree 4.0, while your friend Xfree3.5*. It is where the problem lie
> (see below).

That is correct.

> "It has noting to do with kernel/gnome. XFree 4.0 is known to be
> very hungry for the shared memory, so you should increase SHMSEG
> parameter in your kernel config file. There are no guidelines as to
> what exact number will be sufficient, so you should define it in
> experimental way. I personally set it to 100 (options SHMSEG=100)
> and do not see any warnings anymore."

Unfortunately, these are my current settings:

options         SHMALL=1025
options         SHMMAX="(SHMMAXPGS*PAGE_SIZE+1)"
options         SHMMAXPGS=1025
options         SHMMIN=2
options         SHMMNI=256
options         SHMSEG=128

I can increase it more, but I think this is quite a ridiculous amount
of shared memory to be using.  Something must be wrong.

I am now searching for a way to disable the MIT-SHM extension in the X
server, but I think I may have to recompile.
--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/