Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 06:55:09 -0400
From:      "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        "Igor Ignatovich" <igor_ig@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: high speed modem connection

}-----Original Message-----
}From: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
}[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of
}Igor Ignatovich
}Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2000 3:13 AM
}To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
}Subject: high speed modem connection
}
}Hello All,
} I use FBSD-4.0 box. I consider to
} subscribe for fast-internet service provided
} by Reflex(up to 1Mbps). Acc. to their web page they
} provide high speed modem and I must have NIC.
} My question is: may I be sure that FBSD supports
} that kind of connection?

it's not the connection that needs support. what needs support is the
interface to that connection (i.e. NIC)

May be smb. here has
} experience tuning Reflex ISP within FBSD?
} What kind of high speed modem and NIC I should
} insist to have in order FBSD will support it?

My ISP provided me with an ADSL modem. If you need your own, check out
a Cisco 675, if you plan to get ADSL. For a NIC, my Intel Ether
Express 10/100 works quite nicely, supported by the fxp driver in
FreeBSD.

} If hardware is supported so what steps/changes
} I should make within OS?(for last seven years I
} used only dial-up ISP).

Read up on how to modify/customize your kernel. Your kernel will need
to have "fxp" support in it for it to recognize the Intel NIC. There
are several others to choose from. I just use that example because
that's what I use here.

} Direct answers or providing links to answers will
} be highly appreciated.

links? start at http://www.freebsd.org and follow the links from
there. Ask and ye shall receive. Search and ye shall be enlightened.

}
}      Thanks,
}           Igor I.
}
}
}
}
}Do You Yahoo!?
}Yahoo! Messenger - Talk while you surf!  It's FREE.
}http://im.yahoo.com/
}
}
}To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
}with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message