Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 1995 13:20:15 -0700
From:      uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   bin/316: SNAP950322 less stable on IDE than earlier releases FDIV009

>Number:         316
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       SNAP950322 less stable on IDE than earlier releases FDIV009
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.0.0-SNAP950322 i386
>Environment:

system is a GRiD/DEC 486DX-33 EISA system with:
one WD Caviar 528Meg IDE drive,
OAK SVGA,
SMC 8013 network adapter,
Soundblaster 16 with two Matsushita CD-ROM drives. (can be removed - no effect)
8 Meg of RAM.
The hard disk was completely wiped during multiple installations.
Kernel can be the stock kernel, a "make world" kernel, or a custom kernel.

[FDIV009]

SNAP-032295 is less stable than the previous SNAP.  I get system lockups
during kernel builds, ls -alR | more, even grep commnds.  This same
system ran SNAP-021095 for a month without problems.  The system also
ran 2.0 and 1.1.5.1 without problems.

When I rebuild the kernel, typically three to six drivers get recompiled.
During this process, the system will lockup an average of one time per
build.  I have had to restart the same build three times to make it
all the way through, and then ten minutes later a recompile of the same
files goes through without incident.

The lockup is just that - no panic.  The system simply goes dead, no
activity, Numlock and Capslock no longer toggle when you push keys.
Pings are not recognized.

I have removed and reseated RAM, processor, all cards, and finally replaced
all the RAM and the problem doesn't go away.

I finally moved the hard disk to a similar system (almost identical
configuration that has been running SNAP-021095 since it was available
with no problems) and now the other system randomly lockups.

I assume it is either a memory management problem or a problem with the
wd disk driver.  It will not lockup if the system isn't doing anything.
It has to be crunching to cause the problem to show itself.

In fact, I wrote this report by telneting from a SNAP-032295 system to a
1.1.5.1 system that was otherwise idle.  While typing this note, cron
ran /etc/daily on the 032295 system and locked the system up.  Nothing
else was running and there are no other users.

>How-To-Repeat:

Here it is easy.  Give the system something disk-intensive to do.

>Fix:

*END*