Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2006 04:06:33 +1000
From:      Mikhail Goriachev <mikhailg@webanoide.org>
To:        Cody Holland <cholland@redmoonbroadband.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Source Upgrade

Cody Holland wrote:
> Currently running FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #0 on a development server and
> attempted to update source via cvsup to 6.1-STABLE.  Went through the same
> procedures that I have always used in the past and the server stated to
> still be running 6.0-stable.  The following are the procedures that I use.
> I deleted everything out of /usr/obj, then ran make update && make
> buildworld && make buildkernel KERNCONF=KERNELNAME && make installkernel
> KERNCONF=KERNELNAME from /usr/src, rebooted, ran make installworld from
> /usr/src, ran mergemaster, then rebooted.  Make.conf has the appropriate
> supfile and in the supfile I'm using tag=RELENG_6.  The whole process went
> fine.  I thought something was strange when mergemaster didn't update
> anything except motd.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Cody
>
> Lifes a Garden....Dig It!!

Hi,

You skipped `mergemaster -p'. Consult /usr/src/Makefile for more
information about the necessary steps.

Also RELENG_6 won't take you to 6.1. You need RELENG_6_1. Check files in
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ for more details about configurations.

Also, you might want to read this as well:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

Cheers,
Mikhail.

--
Mikhail Goriachev
Webanoide

Telephone: +61 (0)3 62252501
Mobile Phone: +61 (0)4 38255158
E-Mail: mikhailg@webanoide.org
Web: http://www.webanoide.org

PGP Key ID: 0x4E148A3B
PGP Key Fingerprint: D96B 7C14 79A5 8824 B99D 9562 F50E 2F5D 4E14 8A3B