Date:      Tue, 05 Jan 1999 10:50:24 GMT
From:      rsss@melbpc.org.au (Richard Solly)
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@visi.com>
Subject:   Re: Panic: Changing default root with the elf loader/kernel

>From: Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>

>Richard Solly <rsss@melbpc.org.au> wrote
>> Following the helpful discussions recently, I converted my
>> recent 3.0 kernel which I thought was elf (but in fact was
>> aout) to genuine elf.   Installed the boot loader OK as per
>> Robert Nordier's helpful instructions and  booted the
>> kernel.

>> Now one big problem, the boot disk is in fact the 2nd scsi
>> disk (da1)  (as well as an IDE disk).  It boots OK from what
>> in fact is the 3rd disk, but root always defaults back to
>> the first scsi (da0) and of course the kernel panics when it
>> can't find root.

>You may need:

>        set currdev=disk3s1a:
>if it hasn't already set the current device correctly.

In fact it already had
     currdev=disk3s3a

and the loader gives a "disk3s3a" prompt.
(Slices 1 and 2 contain another operating system).

>Start by breaking to the loader commandline, and say

>        set num_ide_disks=1
>        boot

This was done and the elf kernal (GENERIC compile) booted from
da1s3a like a charm.

>You can put loader commands in /boot/boot.conf

I created /boot/boot.conf and added:
set num_ide_disks=1

which is read by the loader and now the whole system boots without
human intervention.
(Well it would if the boot selector on the IDE disk had the
FreeBSD system as default).

>Please let me know how you go with this; I don't have such a senario to
>test with at the moment, but will definitely do whatever is required to
>make it work properly.

Thanks to you for your helpful comments which worked "out of the
message".   General instructions to change the default root device
for the elf loader/kernel would be helpful.   What is the required
set statement if  one boots from the second scsi disk without an
IDE disk or the second of two IDE disks ?

Richard Solly