Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 18:41:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   grops eats disk

Okay, I'm puzzled.  I run groff, then get an error

  /: write failed, file system is full

Hmm... must be filling up /tmp.  I've got about 5 megabytes free
on / and I can't imagine why groff would need all that but
anyway...I suspend groff and sure enough, df shows that that / is
indeed full, but there is nothing unusual in /tmp.  In fact I
can't find *anything* on the root partition eating up space, yet
the space disappears.

To make a long story short, rummaging around with fstat and lsof
shows:

COMMAND   PID    USER   FD   TYPE     DEVICE SIZE/OFF  INODE NAME
grops   13016 jfieber    4u  VREG        4,0  2596864   1002 / (/dev/sd0a)

Sure enough, the SIZE field grows until the root partition is
full.  Can anyone explain this to me?  How is it possible that an
ordinary users process can fill up a partition without using the
single writable directory (/tmp) on that disk?

I'm running 2.2.5-RELEASE plus a couple security patches.

-john