Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 1998 08:01:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Michael Vioreanu <mikejv@wolf.nji.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "Michael J. Vioreanu" <mjv5296@megahertz.njit.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: extremely slow ppp

Upon the suggestion of someone else, I turned off compression.  I did
this by adding -vj -ac -pc -bsdcomp to the pppd line, or adding related
options to my ppp.conf file for user ppp.  It seems to have done the
trick.  The only compression I forsee as still being there is the modem
comprssion(V.42bis).  I do not know if it's one, some, or all of those
compressions that have caused the problem, nor do I know how to test the
total bandwidth of the connection in order to use the most efficient
compression(s).

Thanks for your help.

Mike V