Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 09:01:33 -0600
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Query / Laptop Install

At 20:36 15-03-1999 -0500, Crist J. Clark wrote:
>Which distribution was the screen stuck on when you found it in the
>morning?

Oh, gosh, I was still half asleep... But I believe it was downloading the
source code for something.

I am not too worried about it at this time. I certainly have everything I
need right now. Whenever I realize something is missing, that will be the
time to download and install it.

One thing that helped me was that this time I did not get it from
ftp.freebsd.org - that is a very busy server, and my downloads were coming
at the rate of about 1 KB/sec.

Instead, I chose ftp.cz.freebsd.org - the mirror in Czech Republic. That
may not not seem to make sense at first since it is across the Big Pond
from the US. But it was a weekend night, and due to the 6 hour time zone
difference I figured few if any local downloads would be going on at the
time. Secondly, Czech Republic is a fairly small country (about 10 million
people), so even during the day there would be fewer downloads than say
from a German site. Last but not least, I was raised in the former
Czechoslovakia (in what is now Slovakia, but there is no
ftp.sk.freebsd.org), so it was almost like going home on a vacation. :-)

Well, it was downloading at 3.4 - 3.7 KB/sec, a considerable improvement.
Now, please don't everybody go and download from there, but it may be a
good idea to pick a small country in that part of the world where everyone
is sound asleep while you are downloading.

BTW, here is an idea for developers of the install software: ftp comes with
certain overhead (send request, wait for a reply...) which keeps the line
idle for a percentage of time. If the install software allowed you to
choose from two different ftp sites that contain the same distribution
files, it could alternate requests from both. That would lower the load on
both ftp sites, and increase the download speed. It would not double the
speed, but it would increase it.

I mean, request file .aa from site 1, file .ab from site 2 in two separate
tasks. Whenever you receive and process a file, request whichever file is
needed next from whichever ftp site you just finished receiving a file from.

Adam
---
Want to design your own web counter?
Get GCL 2.10 from http://www.whizkidtech.net/gcl/