Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 15:59:32 -0600
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
To:        "Zenja Ivkovic" <izenja@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:

At 13:24 29-12-1998 PST, Zenja Ivkovic wrote:
>Now I need to know when I install it (I didn't do anything yet, I just
>waited and saw if anything was gonna happend and rebooted), how will I
>be able to run windows? Do I just remove the floppy from the drive? If
>not, I need detailed instructions.

It will ask you if you want a boot manager. Say yes.

The first time you reboot after the install, the boot manager will tell you
to press F1 for "DOS" (which is Windows) or F2 for FreeBSD. It will wait
until you press one of the two.

After that, it will still give you the option to press F1 or F2 but if you
do not press either within a reasonable time limit, it will boot to
whatever system you used last.

The somewhat tricky part is getting to plain DOS on a Windows 95 machine.
You must press F1 and immediately press F8 for the Windows boot manager. If
you hesitate after pressing F1, Windows will start booting.

Adam

P.S. You do need to remove the floppy regardless of which system you want
to boot.

Which reminds me of a strange problem I have encountered, perhaps someone
can help me:

I always had the boot sequence set to: CDROM/C/A. I changed it to A/C for
the install. But afterwards, I cannot switch it back to CDROM/C/A. I mean I
can switch it, all right, but if the CD ROM does not have a boot CD in it,
the FreeBSD boot manager will not load either DOS or FreeBSD. It asks the
question, and has F? for default, and no matter what I choose, it just
repeats the question. I had to set my BIOS to go A/C to be able to boot
anything.

           ===> Whiz Kid Technomagic <===
             http://www.whizkidtech.net/
    The resource center for webmasters and web users
       Winner of the Starting Point Hot Site award
            Winner of the Lighthouse Award
             Home of the Web Magic Award