Date:      Mon, 19 Dec 1994 23:52:44 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ulrich Mayring <ulim@CoLi.Uni-SB.DE>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   OpenStep for FreeBSD?

Hi folks,

maybe it's a little early to ask yet, but anyway here goes:

I heard yesterday that Sun, Dec and HP have licensed OpenStep, the GUI and
API of NextStep, as far as I understand. This would mean that in one or
two years Sun, Dec and HP workstations will look like the Next and all
existing Next applications will run on these platforms. And with the
three workstation-biggies behind it we can expect a lot of new software
will be developped for OpenStep. So far, so commercial.

But, reportedly, some guys from the FSF are working on a port of OpenStep for
Linux and OpenStep seems to be looked upon by many as the successor to X.
("Unix functionality and Macintosh operability")

I would be interested to hear comments about NextStep from any who have
used it and if there will be a port for Linux, surely there must be one
for FreeBSD as well?

greetings,

Ulrich