Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 1999 05:35:23 +0800
From:      Pluto Relay <mew20@columbia.edu>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   read-only?? install problem

Hello,

Since the FreeBSD books with CD's are backed up 3-5 weeks, I tried to
install it using floppies (on a Dell PowerEdge 2300, with 2 SCSI HDs on an
Adaptec AIC-7890). After installing "bin", I had some problem that it
couldn't write to the /etc directory ("the commit operation completed with
errors. Not updating /etc files"). Now when I boot up (from the hard disk),
it always goes to the installation program, and I can't get a command line
prompt. Whenever I try to do something in the install program, I get the
error "Couldn't create directory /tmp/doc.: Read-only file system" or
something similar. I've tried to find information on this subject but have
come up with nothing. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks
	-Matt