Date:      Sat, 31 May 1997 07:24:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        dgy@rtd.com, ponds!Mole.ORG!mrm
Cc:        ponds!rtd.com!dgy, ponds!FreeBSD.ORG!hackers, ponds!uriah.heep.sax.de!joerg_wunsch
Subject:   Re: uucp uid's

> > > If each UUCP dialup account has a unique login and that is compromised, you
> > > can tell exactly where the problem originated, can disable that *single*
> > > account (vs. *all* of them) without affecting service to other accounts
> > > and can go in search of how the problem originated in the first place.
> >
> > Each UUCP dialup account can have a unique login without having a unique
> > UID :-) That's not to say I don't think a unique UID is good, just that
> > it can be done. I _do_ think unique UID's are a good thing.
>
> Yes, I currently have nuucp and xuucp sharing a uid.  However, I
> had intended to indicate unique *uids* in the above statement.
> As in uhost1:900:...  uhost2:901:...  etc.
>
> > > UUCP itself is a dinosaur.  Yet, I see several places that use UUCP as
> > > their sole connection to the electronic world.  Kinda tough to force
> > > a client/customer to do things *your* way when *he's* paying the bills!  :>
> >
> > UUCP was a good dinosaur. It still has advantages in this highly
> > interconnected world. I especially liked the multiple connectivity
> > fishnet rather than the cluster connected net we now have.
>
> Yes.  And a good deal of the population doesn't have direct IP
> connectivity, etc.
>
> --don

 Yes - I'd have to agree - since UUCP is my primary connection to
the-rest-of-the-world.

 By the way, I've had as many as 16 UUCP neighbors.  In recent years,
this has dwindled to about 3 or 4.

 I gave each a separate account (so they could each have their own
passwd and UID.) e.g.:
	Uxxxxx  for machine 'xxxxx'
	Uyyyyy  for machine 'yyyyy'
	Uzzzzz  for machine 'zzzzz'

but they have the same home directory.  One advantage of this is that,
at any given time, I can see who is dialed in and decide if I want
to kick them off to use the modem myself :-) (just use who.)

	- Dave Rivers -