Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 23:06:26 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Robert Small <rsmall@pwahec.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD networking

Robert Small wrote:

> I've already got my bsd box up and running on the internet, so now, you're
> saying, is just plug in the win98 box, and use mine as a "gateway" and it'll
> cruise?

No, it's not quite that simple, but not far off.  First, you need to set

gateway_enable="YES"

in /etc/rc.conf, to let your BSD box route packets from your LAN to the
Internet and vice-versa.  Second, if you only have a single IP address
available to you (this is probably the case, as you don't say otherwise)
you'll need to use network address translation (NAT).

Are you using a modem to connect to the Internet?  If so, just run
"ppp -nat" and whatever other options you normally use to "ppp" (e.g.
"ppp -nat -auto yourisp"), and with the above setting in /etc/rc.conf,
it should work.  (If you don't want to reboot, execute "sysctl -w
net.inet.ip.forwarding=1" as root to make the gateway_enable change take
effect straight away.)

I assume your Win98 box is using an RFC1918 address (i.e. something in
192.168/16, 172.16/12, or 10/8) as it's address?

If you're not using a modem, you'll need to use natd, which I'm not
familiar with, so hopefully someone else can help if the information in
"man natd" doesn't help you.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D