Date:      Mon, 15 May 2006 11:41:17 -0700
From:      Andrew Elmore <aelmore@interwoven.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop dead, suggestions?

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 10:48:59AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> So, I'm in the market for a new laptop.  Unless someone is donating me
> a decent one, I'd like it to have the following characteristics:
> 	>= 1GHz speed
> 	>= 512MB RAM
> 	>= 40GB hard disk
> 	Excellent battery life
> 	light weight (< 4 pounds?)
> 	decent scren
> 	well constructed
> 	PC Card slot
> 	ExpressCard slot
> 	SD card slot (with the standard SD host interface)
> 	builtin wireless
>
> Does anybody have any recommendations?

I have had good experiences with IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads, having owned
several over the last ten years.  Most of mine have been the desktop
replacement variety (except for two, a Z50 supercompact which ran
NetBSD/hpcmips, and a previously used 560), but the Thinkpad X-series
meets most of your requirements, not sure about the SD card slot or
Express Card.

The X-series are the only ones without a builtin trackpad, which may
or may not suit your personal preference-- I find the TrackPoint red
"eraser" pointer to be very ergonomic, and appreciate having one of the
few laptops with three mouse buttons.

regards,
Andrew