Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 08:49:24 +0100 (MET)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, sos@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New PS/2 mouse driver stalled

> I have read the comments on the new syscons|ps/2 mouse driver bugs, but
> looking at Bruce's comments regarding the new syscons 'polling' behavior
> it looks like it wouldn't matter since it really requires a new 'combo'
> driver that differentiates between keyboard interrupts and mouse
> interrupts, which has been the 'goal' for a long time with no
> resolution.

Sigh, I've wanted to do a merge for a long time. I'm currently struggeling
with taring syscons apart into smaller more generic pieces, some
of wich can be optional. It should have been in 2.2 but now its a candidate
for 3.0 :(. My plans for this does include the ps/2 mouse interface, so
I havn't forgotten....

> I believe the new driver is 'better' than the old driver, but I don't
> believe it will work any better with the syscons changes that folks are
> complaining about.
>
> The author of the new driver would like to work on it more, and has even
> provided a man-page but none of this matters until we get the
> syscons/mouse interaction resolved.  I agree that syscons is within it's
> rights to poll the keyboard, but it means that the PS/2 driver will not
> work if I read Bruce's notes correctly.

After trying out a patch to clock.c that a Japanese guy sent us in
a pr to fix the hanging keyboard, we _might_ have an alternative to
a polling syscons (I don't like polling at any rate), I just fail
to understand how the fix should cure the problem, bruce ??

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.