Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 08:38:34 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Caching namesever in sandbox not resolving local boxes

# stacey@Demon.vickiandstacey.com / 2002-10-14 20:02:11 +0100:
> I've got named configured as a caching nameserver in a sandbox on my
> gateway as per the Handbook. However when I run nslookup on other
> machines on my network, I get this:
> # nslookup <lan box>
> Server:  <upstream NS>
> Address:  upstream NS IP>
>
> *** <upstream NS> can't find <lan box>: Non-existent host/domain
> #

    I can't really help you with this one (I use different software for DNS),
    and I see others already tried to guess what you were doing, but you
    might want to read this anyway:

    http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/dont-obscure-your-dns-data.html

    and why you should never use nslookup(1):
    http://www.faqts.com./knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/9287/fid/699
    http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/faq/tinydns.html#nslookup
    http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/nslookup-daft-error-message.html

    http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/dns-server-roles.html

--
If you cc me or take the list(s) out completely I'll most likely
ignore your message.