Date:      Tue, 03 Apr 2007 21:09:21 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'Safest' filesystem defaults

--------------enigBFE08B92D7B118335E173334

mal content wrote:
> Hello.
>=20
> Which filesystem options are the 'safest' in terms of data loss
> after power failure?
>=20
> I'm current using:
>=20
> /dev/ad0s1f on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
> /dev/ad0s1d on /var (ufs, local, nosuid, soft-updates)
> /dev/ad1s1d on /mnt/home (ufs, local, nosuid, soft-updates)
> /dev/ad0s1e.eli on /tmp (ufs, local, noexec, nosuid, nosymfollow)
>=20
> We currently have a serious problem with power outages, so I'd
> like to make sure that my filesystems don't get damaged by power
> failure until I can install a decent UPS system.

You might want to turn off soft-updates because they rely more on the
hard drive cache correctly behaving than the alternative (the "normal"
mode, without sync or async). If you do so, file system operations will
be slower and you will suffer long fsck times, but at least your file
system will be consistent (which says nothing about your data).