Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 1998 11:45:40 +0100 (BST)
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as an X-Terminal

Jonathan Chen said:
>[For some reason my original mail didn't make it to the list..]
>
>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to set up a minimal FreeBSD system (2.2.6) as an
>X-Terminal. I've installed X (it works), but I can't seem to figure
>out how to configure it so that it issues an XDMCP request to our
>central host (a SCO box) so that the latter will present a login
>widget on the FreeBSD box.

We used to have a bunch of Sun SS-1's as X-terms (*loved* those 19"
Trinitrons...)  They just ran a local X server and xdm; xdm would put up
its server list (it does some XDCMP broadcast to figure out who the servers
are).  You'd just choose the server you wanted and the xdm login widget
comes up as normal.

I set the same thing up under NetBSD -- it was pretty easy and all in the
xdm docs.  Unfortunately this was three years ago so I can't remember the
details.

Maybe you are getting confused by the distinction between the 'local X
server' which runs *on the X-terminal* and provides the display, and the
server that runs all the clients (the SCO box in your case)?

Anyhow, xdm will do what you want.

HTH,

	Scott.