Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 1995 12:54:38 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Piero Serini <piero@strider.ibenet.it>
To:        aarone@homer.prahran.swin.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help!!! Panic - Page faults!

Hello.

Quoting from Aaron Elliott. (Mon Aug 21 19:00:28 1995):
> It runs on a 486DX2-66 VLB (Award BIOS) only with 16Mb RAM and 540Mb
> Conner EIDE HDD , ET-4000 Video Card and VLB I/O card.  The ethernet
> card is an SMC Ultra.  It runs the default kernal, and has no weird or
> wonderfull pakages in it.
> Is there a variable I can tweak maybe?

I think it's hardware problem. 1.1.5.1 is known to be rock solid.
A question, though: did you apply the patches? If not, I can send
you a tar file.

An  useful  thing you can do is to send the mesg you get just be-
fore the reboot. Then include in your e-mail  the  output  of:
	nm /386bsd | sort

> What is a page fault?

Segmentation violation while in kernel mode.

> Why are we?

Bho? Who cares? I take is as it is, maybe there's a reason.

> Thanks Heaps in anticipation!

You're welcome.

Bye,
--
#        $Id: .signature,v 1.12 1995/08/14 12:10:54 piero Exp $
Piero Serini                                            Via Giambologna, 1