Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 20:09:42 -0600
From:      David Syphers <dbsypher@uchicago.edu>
To:        abbas mirza <abs_monaco@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade Fbsd4.1 installed from cds to 4.2 Stable with CTM.

At 05:31 PM 2/28/01 -0800, abbas mirza wrote:
>1.
>Trying to upgrade Fbsd4.1 installed from cds.
>Need to upgrade to 4.2 Stable using CTM.
> >From ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CTM
>src-4.  Is this 4.2 Stable ?

Yes.

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ctm.html

>Which files should be downloaded assuming that src
>files from cds are available ?

Don't use the source files from the CD.  rm -r * the /usr/src tree you have
now, and rebuild it with the most recent tree.  Download a file with the
entire source tree up to that point (these are the *xEmpty.gz files, around
67 MB for the latest), then download all the CTM deltas numbered after that
one.  For example, you'd want to get src-4.0400xEmpty.gz and then all
src-4.04* files.

>2.
> >From the first cd , tried searching for the source
>files, to provide the starter delta files.
>Where are they located ?

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CTM, along with the other deltas (the
starter delta file is the xEmpty file mentioned above).

>3. Which mailing list sends updates for Stable 4.2 ?

When tracking -stable, you should be subscribed to this list,
freebsd-stable.  That should be sufficient.

-David

            Charon@freethought.org
            http://www.seektruth.org/

"I mean, how many of us can honestly say that
at one time or another he hasn't felt sexually
attracted to mice.  I know I have."
     -Kargol, Monty Python's Flying Circus