Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:01:30 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        obie@bmarkt.de
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA driver is doing a fallback to pio mode4 on Promise Ultra66

Oliver Biermann wrote:

> Hi,
> I've Problems with the ATA driver in 4-STABLE (cvsupped the source
> today, but the problem exists for me since back to 4.6-RELEASE as far
> as I remember). The driver is doing a fallback from UDMA66 mode to PIO4
> mode on my Promise Ultra66 controller. (On the onboard controller of my
> mainboard [UDMA100] and on my HighPoint UDMA66 controller this does not
> happen).
>
> Here are the messages I receive:
>
> Aug 22 14:05:56 interruptus /kernel: ad8: READ command timeout tag=0
> serv=0 - resetting
> Aug 22 14:05:56 interruptus /kernel: ata4: resetting devices .. done
<snip>
> Aug 22 14:06:26 interruptus /kernel: ad8: trying fallback to PIO mode
> Aug 22 14:06:26 interruptus /kernel: ata4: resetting devices .. done
> Aug 22 14:06:36 interruptus /kernel: ad8: READ command timeout tag=0
> serv=0 - resetting
> Aug 22 14:06:36 interruptus /kernel: ata4: resetting devices .. done
>
> The machine was booted 25 minutes ago, and I was listening to some music
> from this hdd via samba 2.2.5 on my windows box...
> I had this behaviour quite often in the last days:
> booting, ata-driver in UDMA66 mode and then after some time using the
> hdd a fallback to PIO4...
> I would say it's not a cable-problem, because I checked my cables and
> run the same configuration on the other controllers where all seems ok.

I've had similar problems myself from 4.2-R on, but only because I
didn't have any ATA66+ hardware until after I was using at least 4.2-R
everywhere.  As long as the drive itself isn't a problem, switching
controller/cable combinations has always removed the problem.  It seems
that heterogenous ATA66+ configurations with lots of drives is a
crap-shoot at best.  Have you tried swaping the cable out with a
premium non-rounded ATA/100 cable (the kind you buy seperately for $20+
each)?