Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 22:34:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        drussell@saturn-tech.com, tlambert@primenet.com, jflowers@ezo.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting from NT ?

> ok, it is vmount-0.6a something... but the author's web site is
> unreachable at the moment. Does someone have a copy of this by chance ?
> (this does not solve my problem yet, but it is at least a starting
> point).
>
> One more question for those who have some knowledge of NTFS. Just
> how complex is to locate say one file in the root directory ?

It's not hard.

> The idea would be have the boot block (512 bytes) locate and suck in a
> predefined file using BIOS calls, so the only problem would be to find
> out the parameters to pass to the bios.

A better way would be to modify the FreeBSD boot blocks to read
NTFS instead of UFS.

Note that the use of the NT boot loader simplifies this, since it can
have a very large boot image that it loads from (see the handbook).

The real pain here is that FreeBSD won't boot on a pure read-only
file store without modification (the existance of which was posted
about several times by the ROM/FLASH people).

For writing, there are VFS changes needed, and you have to be careful
to construct the logs *exactly* the right way; this isn't too hard
to infer, but it's work (the great crystalline entity, with whom I've
learned to communicate...).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---