Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 12:48:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@teaser.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New print interface

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Nicolas Souchu wrote:

> >I *never* expected to see the PNP functions actually pick up the name of
> >my printer.  I was economically bushwacked by the Windows corps into
> >buying the 693C (the version with the Windows software floppies tacked
> >on) so I was actually pleased that it ID'd the printer as the more
> >generic 690C (sans the Windows extortia).
> >
> >Very nice.  The mistake I'd made earlier was in not knowing that the
> >config needed all 3 lines, not just some subset of 2 of them as I'd
> >guessed.
> >
> >Great job, Nicolas!
>
> Not finished. ECP is not supported yet. I'm glad to see the 690C is ECP
> compliant. I bougth an HP6L, thinking it was :(
>
> But there's at least FIFO+DMA support in the nlpt driver. Try 'lptcontrol -e'
> with you BIOS configured to ECP. Recompile with the appropriate
> drq on the 'device ppc at isa?...' line.

Experimentation mode (on a machine I can crash here if I need to now).
I stuck the drq 3 into the 'controller ppc0' line.  BTW, since LINT was
changed, there's now no indication as to where to stick the dma channel
info, for users.

Anyhow, now my config looks like:

controller      ppc0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 drq 3
controller      ppbus0
device          lpt0    at ppbus?
device          plip0   at ppbus?
device          ppi0    at ppbus?
device          pps0    at ppbus?

There are a couple of things that have happened that strike me as worthy
of comment.  Here's my relevant dmesg part:

ppc0 at 0x378 irq 7 drq 3 on isa
ppc0: SMC FDC37C665GT chipset (ECP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/15 bytes threshold
ppb0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE/ECP
Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
ppbus0: <HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 690C> MLC,PCL,PML
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus 0
lpt0: <generic printer> on ppbus 0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <generic parallel i/o> on ppbus 0
lppps0: <Pulse per second Timing Interface> on ppbus 0

Notice how the ppbus finds and correctly IDs my printer (yea!) but then
the lpt0 and ppi0 lines find generic ... this is a little odd, isn't it?
Even if the lpt0 and ppi0 parts are less intelligent, they should share
info to at least some degree, shouldn't they?

2nd note ... you said I should use lptcontrol -e.  I did that, exactly,
and it came back to tell me that it had switched me to extended mode
(which I expected) AND to polled mode (which I neither expected nor
wanted).  The man page says that only one action is taken at a time.  I
was able to switch on the interrupt mode again (which I did want) by
using the -i switch (advertised correctly on the man page now) but isn't
this wrong, switching to polled mode like that on entering the -e?

Last thing ... I did the 'cat /dev/lpt0' like you asked.  No response
whatsoever, the prompt just came back.  I did this both before and after
all the changes done with lptcontrol, each and every time, but the exact
same response, nothing.  Like typing echo.  No status.  Something
incomplete yet?

This isn't criticism, this is the feeling of a child at Christmas
opening new toys, but wondering if maybe there's more under the tree I
haven't quite spotted yet.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).