Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 1999 22:15:59 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        <bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV>, "Mike Meyer" <mwm@phone.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: install newer version over old one...

From: Bruce A. Mah <bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV>
>Hmmm.  I wrote that sentence poorly.  What I meant is having the ability
>to decide whether two ports referred to "the same" piece of software.
>For example, ssh-1.2.27 and ssh-2.0.13 look (by the package naming
>conventions) to be different installed versions of the same piece of
>software.  But they're actually very different.  The ports directory
>tries to differentiate these two (/usr/ports/security/ssh vs. /usr/
>ports/security/ssh2) but that distinction is lost in /var/db/pkg.

Then the ssh2 port needs to have it's package name changed to ssh2-2.0.13.

>Consider also that both Tcl and Netscape Communicator both have
>multiple ports in the ports tree.  However, with Tcl (I think), you can
>have multiple versions coexisting, but with Communicator, you can't.

This is where being able to set a variable (CONFLICTS) would allow you to
specify which software can't have multiple software versions installed.

>I was thinking that some kind of serial number might be useful to catch
>small incremental changes (i.e. I added a patch but didn't change the
>version number) but that sounds like a PITA and it's probably not the
>right answer.

The port would have to have a naming convention of:

This is how NetBSD names their packages.  When ever a Port Maintainer
submits an update to a port they either increment the patch level (if the
src version hasn't changed) or remove the patch level for a new src version.

This is all accomplished with the patches that I had submitted to the PR
Database:

Port Conflict Checking    -

    Patches to bsd.port.mk to check for version/port conflicts at install
time. (requires pr bin/13649)

Enhancement to PKG_INSTALL tools    -

    Various enhancements to the PKG_INSTALL tools (pattern matching,
conflict checking)

Scot