Date:      27 Jun 2002 18:37:30 +0200
From:      Wouter Van Hemel <wouter@pair.com>
To:        Tomi =?ISO-8859-1?Q?H=E4s=E4?= <tomi.hasa@tut.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Readme for Windows Users

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 18:02, Tomi H=E4s=E4 wrote:
> Greetings,
>=20
> I didn't tell my thoughts clearly enough. I meant that for a slow dial-up
> connection you don't want to download all the files on
>=20
>    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/handbook
>=20
> You just want to download one file, and then close the dial-up connection=
.
> A small readme.txt would be nice to tell me what I should download, so I
> don't have to experiment with the files.
>=20

Isn't the extension of the file clear enough? For instance, ps for
PostScript, txt for plaintext format, pdf for... well, pdf's... ;)

You just have to download one file - the format you want, with the
compression technique you want.

Ofcourse, there could be a readme file, but wouldn't it be a bit moronic
to have something like

book.html.tar.gz   Handbook in html format and gzip compression
book.pdf.gz        Handbook in pdf format and gzip compression
book.ps.gz         Handbook in postscript format and gzip compression
[...]

Or how do you see it?

Kind regards,

  wouter