Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:30:34 -0400
From:      "Charles Swiger" <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Samba problem.

Sergey A Nasedkin wrote:
>   I have a problem with samba port. When I copy files to machine
>   running samba after short period it take 95-99% using cpu.
>   Data writing on disk created with vinum. The problem was detected
>   on FreeBSD 4.5.I've try to use samba 2.2.3a and 2.2.5 . Does anybody
>   have same problem ? Any suggestion ?

You've got a lot of variables, here.  Try to exclude some by:

1) trying samba on a non-RAIDed disk (ie, not with vinum)

I think samba now tries to use something around a 64K block size, so using a
64K stripe size may prove beneficial (ie, using RAID-0 striping instead of
simple filesystem concatenation).

2) Try doing local I/O, perhaps the iozone test suite, and see what your CPU
usage looks like.

3) Give us the relevant details of 'dmesg', if you can...double check things
like whether the drives are going in UDMA mode or falling back to PIO, for
example, would certainly make I/O CPU intensive.

4) Your machine appears to be low on memory for a 400 GB fileserver; disk
caching in RAM is one of the most cost-efficient ways of improving
performance.

-Chuck