Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:57:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MP: per-CPU mbuf allocation lists

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Terry Lambert wrote:

> On the other hand, we know that significant concurrency can
> be achieved, even with a single Big Giant Lock, by removing
> resources from the conflict domain, rather than moving them
> to private conflict domains.  Per CPU resources simply do not
> need locking or mutexes or atomic_t or similar protection:
> they are inherently MP-safe.

	Is this 100% accurate? Don't we still need to protect even the
  per-CPU lists with a lock just in case we get an interrupt and get
  rescheduled because of a higher priority thread that wants execution? Is
  this possible?
	If it isn't the case, then ignore the question, but if it is, I agree
  that it still makes sense to have per-CPU resources available, just
  because it the lock contention is minimized.

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org
> ---
> or previous employers.