Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 23:10:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/20491: AbiWord-0.7.10 fails to compile on FreeBSD-4.1

The following reply was made to PR ports/20491; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To: Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.ORG>,
	Steve Davidson <stevedav@pacbell.net>,
	Alec Wolman <wolman@cs.washington.edu>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 02:02:55 -0400 (EDT)

 > I'm handing this back to the -ports community at large.
 > AbiWord is a mess, including its own copies of libole2, expat,
 > and iconv (which is the problem here).  For this to be done
 > right, appropriate LIB_DEPENDS need adding to the Makefile and
 > incredible amounts of hackery will be needed in the various
 > Makefiles to link against these external libraries.
 >
 > Oh, and an upgrade to 0.7.11 didn't help.

 I made a simple attempt (no deep hacks) at updating the port to 0.7.11.
 It compiles for me, but crashes when I run it, after displaying an error
 message about not being able to find its fonts.  I noticed the names of
 many of the fonts (in the fonts.dir file) have spaces in them, but without
 the double quotes around them that the mkfontdir man page says are needed.
 I tried adding the quotes and restarting X, but it made no difference.  I
 made a patch of what I have, not including the quotes in the fonts.dir
 file:

 	http://people.freebsd.org/~trevor/ports/abiword.diff.gz
 --
 Trevor Johnson