Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:10:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Sung Nae Cho <sucho2@quasar.phys.vt.edu>
To:        Nicolas Grieco <ng@t-online.fr>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD needs to awake and come out of SERVER only market!

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Nicolas Grieco wrote:

> > > Come on, desktop is the king and FreeBSD should focus itself evolving in
> > > desktop market.  If you gonna whine about stability, go back to FreeBSD
> > > 2.x, 3.x.  For me, FreeBSD 4.x, 5.x should be more desktop oriented, and
> > > desktops need performance!!!!!
>
> Servers don't need performance ?
> Desktops don't need stability ?
>
> What kind of world do you live in ?
> You seems to forget that many FreeBSD'ers use it for professional servers and
> not only as jukebox multimedia.
> BTW i don't even understand why they should choose between Desktop and Server, i think
> FreeBSD 4.x could do both perfectly.
>
> Regards,

I don't know how far this have gone down the road and altered throughout
the course.  But, I've never said desktops don't need stability.  It all
started with some faction of FreeBSD users complaining about the default
enable of the disk write cache for modern hard drives in FreeBSD 4.x
series.  My original post was literally responding to them, "Come on!
This is 21st Century and hard disks are reliable and we need to take full
advantage over those capable devices if FreeBSD's ever going to succeed in
desktop market.  FreeBSD is no longer for server use only!"  Personally,
I've been using UDMA capable disks (and, who doesn't these days?) with all
the DMA capabilities fully turned on and never had to compromise
performance with stability.  If you are so worried about UDMA capable
disks to not to work as it suppose to, why in the world are you even
getting UDMA disk?  Jee, lets get real here.  Too many of the FreeBSD
users are too overly conservative or out of date.  Being overly
conervative is not necessarily being wise, rather, it's being stubborn.

I just thought that everyone responding to this post regarding "FreeBSD
needs comeout of server market and meet the Desktop world" should know
where this debate originated from before responding just reading some
follow ups that have been twisted many times down the road.

Anyways, this topic is getting flameful and dull.  And I don't appreciate
when people make everything so serious and start calling someone who's
simply telling the truth a "Troll" or something similar in nature.  A
wise/educated person should not try to cover it's flaws, rather learn to
improve from it.

Please, I do not want to refuel the flame.  Nor have I posted the
original message for that matter.

Yours sincerely,
Sung N. Cho,
Wednesday, July 25, 2001.

Dept. of Physics,
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University.