Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 03:09:05 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Hans.Franke@mch20.sbs.de, hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
Subject:   Re: 8" floppy drive anyone ?

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> I have a bunch of 8" floppies I need to try to recover contents
> from, is there anybody out there who has a 8" drive they'd be willing
> to part with for $$ ?
>
> If it comes with the magic SA800-PC cable it would be just perfect.
>
> Poul-Henning
>
> --

Try Hans.Franke@mch20.sbs.de of http://www.vcfe.org he's in Munich
Germany, he collects weird stuff for a proto-not-yet-museum, probably
he'll not be keen to sell, but offer to trade some other weird stuff
you can dredge up in exchange, & you may make his day.  His associate
Salam (email lost) of http://www.vintage.org also runs a museum in USA, might
be able to help similarly, trading.  Hypo Vereinsbank in Munich, Bavaria, Germany were
still using 8" drives on computers in bank branches about 2 years ago,
don't know if theyve been thrown out yet.

PS I have a sector recovery tool I wrote for 5.25" on dos, but works
on 3.25" on FreeBSD too, just that the recovery bit is better on DOS than BSD,
on BSD it's vaguely dd'ish, on DOS it really recovers data.
	http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/src/bsd/jhs/bin/public/valid/

Julian Stacey		Munich Unix (FreeBSD, Linux etc) Independent Consultant
jhs@bim.bsn.com		http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/
	Ihr Rauchen = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Schnupftabak probieren !