Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 1997 22:00:39 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "Load Defaults" was my cure! (Was: Re: Do *you* have problems with  floppies?)

> As dkelly@hiwaay.net wrote:
>
> > > p.s.: Does your mainboard also have a Winbond chip for the FDC?  Quite
> > > possible that this is the actual culprit.  I think my board has an SMC
> > > chip.
> >
> > fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
> > fdc0: NEC 72065B
>
> As i've stated earlier, this is just non-information only.  You gotta
> open the case of your machine to learn what FDC you're using.  The
> above information is wrong anyway, and it's impossible to get the
> actual FDC make by (documented) electronic means.

Arrrg. I've been meaning to open the cases. Rebooted today and forgot.

> I should drop the above message from the floppy driver, it's less than
> useless.
>
> Tor Egge seems to have traced his problem down to the Winbond chip,
> and the best guess one can make out of his test data is that the bus
> interface of the chip (*not* the floppy interface) is broken.  Perhaps
> it's not noticing DMA overruns.

This is really why I'm replying to this older thread: Selecting "Load
Defaults" in the BIOS setup cured my floppy problem. Am quite sure I
have all the other parameters (that are settable) back to the way I've
always had them but I'm guessing there are values in the BBRAM for the
BIOS that are used for setup but are not accessable from the provided
user interface via any other means than "Load Defaults". I was using
the settings as shipped from Atipa, plus a few little things such as
selection of parity memory and reserving IRQ 5 and 10 for ISA cards.

MB above is an Asus P6NP5.

> > Also have access to a Gateway P133 with a VX chipset and same FDC but
>
> Really the same FDC?  Again, verify visually.
>
> > have not had any problems with it. Nor with my $100 5x86/133 CPU & MB
> > which "only" has a NEC 765.
>
> A real NE765?  I.e., the 40-pin chip?

Am certian it is not 40 pins. Again, was in a friend's system that
has the same cheapo MB this weekend and forgot to look. He purchased
a 2.0G Ditto internal floppy tape drive and couldn't get it to work
under DOS or Win95. Checking Iomega's web site I guessed his floppy
controller on the MB wasn't "1 MHz or faster". Scrounged around here
for cards with floppy controllers and the only thing that worked was
the floppy port on an Adaptec 1542CF. He's borrowed it for now, but
if I think too much about my 1542 spending the rest of its life as his
floppy controller, I'd have to cry. Local dealers want $75 for Iomega's
special floppy controller card. Ouch. WalMart's online shopper has it
for $50.11, still "ouch".

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net