Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 23:18:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jcwells@u.washington.edu
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Whistle Claims and Copyrights

> http://www.whistle.com/products/prod-basicfaq.html#bsd
>
> They use BSD instead of free software? Gag!! I guess they are afraid to
> "come out of the closet."

The marketroids strike again.  I have notified them of the error
of their ways, and in twisty methods of such creatures, expect it
to be updated some time before ASCII is no longer standard...

See also:

http://www.whistle.com/company/employment/employ-eng.html#Senior Operating Systems

We *are* aware we are using FreeBSD.  See also:

	http://opensource.whistle.com

Which you can also get to by going to http://www.whistle.com,
clicking on "About Whistle", and clicking on "Click here to
learn about Whistle's Commitment to Open Source".

> 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
>    must display the following acknowledgement:
>
> This product includes software developed by the University of
> California, Berkeley and its contributors and FreeBSD Inc. and it's
> contributors.
>
> ...would seem wholly appropriate. The BSD license does not seem to
> preclude such a statement.
>
> Do we not do this to prevent scaring away customers like Whistle who are
> unwilling to advertise that they use free software?

It wouldn't scare us; we generally give credit where due, but
being an embedded system, there is very little exposed except
our UI, so the credit statements are pretty low-key so as to
not constitute endorsement of our product.

I'm not the official spokesperson, of course, so if you have any
more questions, you should hit the email contacts for the respective
departments, on our www site.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---