Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 00:51:01 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Julian Morgan" <jmorganmcse@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: REQUEST FOR COMMENT

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of Julian Morgan
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2001 11:49 PM
To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: REQUEST FOR COMMENT

PLEASE DON'T HTML FORMAT YOUR STUFF!!

> people - I am very dissappointed here and wanted your opinions.. I have
> helped set up >a 7 site VPN between 2 states in Australia.
> 4 sites in Melbourne and 3 in Sydney.. The firewalls are running FreeBSD4.3
> and communicate with Cisco 827 routes on ADSL 2meg/386K...

And, I assume that everything is working perfectly?

> After setting all this up and starting a fresh in learning FreeBSD over the
> past 8 months while the system has been running, we have had some crew
> question the overall effectiveness of security and other issues..

How was the crew related to the decision makers in your organization?

> As a result they believe that it is better

Who exactly is "they"?  The crew?  The decision makers?  Who?

> to get some certified hardware firewall that provider upgrades patches,
> instead of having a Unix product which is open source and requires patches
> all the time, updates ontop of the usual monitoring, and dedicate a person
> to basically be ontop of all seven sites all the time....

In short, they are saying to "outsource" the firewalling?  There's a number of
companies that sell these things here in the US that they call "managed
firewalls" whereby you buy a hardware box and the company runs it completely
remotely.

> So besides the ISP sucking a little - it means we are going to have to
> upgrade the whole VPN system - and tear out the BSD boxes and get some
> hardware firewall!!!!!!!!

If your decision makers choose to do this that is.

> hmm yet to see the doco on this equiptment...
> just wondered what your thoughts were
> Regards
> Julian

Let's see - where do I start?

First of all, boiled down you are saying that some group related to your
organization
in some fashion is telling you to spend a whole lot of money and time
replacing a
running system for some undefined reason with a system that may or may not
work with
some undefined benefits.  In addition your saying that this recommendation is
so
powerful that your expecting to follow it.

There's wheels within wheels here, and what you have described is not a
technical
problem, it's a political problem.  Your asking for comments from a technical
forum.  There's a disconnect here.

Now, in these kinds of political issues, coming back with a bunch of technical
reasons to support your side is the most futile thing that you can do, because
the people you are fighting have already defined the debate in a much more
palatable non-technical and digestible format, than in the technical and
undigestible
format that your trying to use.  So if your looking for a list of technical
reasons from this forum to support your side you can get them - but they will
be worthless, you will lose.  It's called doing everything right but still
losing
and it happens all the time.

Now, if you supply us with more details of who is blowing who, there's people
here that can assist you to craft a political response that you can use to
effectively fight a political action.  But, you haven't supplied squat.  All
we
can do is make some general recommendations.  Here's mine:

Anything that anyone does in a organization costs money.  Any change to
existing infrastructure costs a lot of money.  If your organization has no
money to do this then the best salesman in the world can get a triple-signed
contract from the Lord Almighty to rip your infrastructure out and replace
it with all his stuff - but it doesen't matter squat, it will never happen
because your organization can't pay for it.

Therefore it follows that in any discussion of changing infrastructure the
very
first question you have to answer is who is contemplating spending the money
to do it, what financial benefit are they expecting to get, and how much money
do they have to play with.

As early as possible you MUST quantify those figures!!  It's rediculously easy
for a
firewall salesman to come waltzing in claiming that his service/product is
going
to save you a shitpile of money when: a) you don't know what your even
spending now
on the thing he's telling you to replace and b) the salesman isn't offering a
single dollar figure that he's willing to commit to.

But, once you have done your own analysis and determined that, say, the
existing
infrastructure costs $2K a month in operations, well then you can start
holding the feet of these folks to the fire.  You often find that once you
start demanding they produce verifyable figures of savings that you have
effectively wrecked one of their big reasons for getting the foot in the door
because most of them will not want to get into this kind of discussion.
Because, they know as was pointed out, that their
product simply isn't going to save much money in operating expenses.

So, then the next thing that comes up onto the table is the efficiency
argument -
ie: their stuff is better because it does more for the same buck that your
spending.  That is where it becomes critical to know what's needed to be done
in the organization, and how your FreeBSD solution fits in better than the
solution they are pushing.

Following that is often the ease of use argument.  Well, the key to fighting
this
one is two-pronged.  First your own house must be in order, if you have
lingering problems with your deployment then you must fix them.  You also have
to understand that the achilles heel of this argument is that usage is only as
good as the monkey behind the wheel.  It makes no difference how easy
something is to run - morons will be successfully able to wreck anything
through incompetence.