Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 1997 02:36:34 +0100
From:      Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
To:        John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MSWord docs...

John Utz shared with us:

> On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > What's the latest technology on previewing MSword stuff under FreeBSD?
> > I haven't been keeping up, I'm afraid...  I know we can currently handle
> > postscript, pdf and acrobat, but word?  Thanks.
>
> 	if u find one, let *all* of us know! I seem to recall a post in
> one of the groups i read about the fact that some guy in germany hacked
> the file format, and then removed it from his website "by request of
> microsoft".
>
> if somebody could do a viewer, then somebody could do a word clone!

Hmm. I think that I wrote about the guy in Germany. I don't have
the URL at home, mail me at 'peterk@IAEhv.nl' if you want it.

I don't know whether the link has been removed. The guy does state
that he figured out a file format himself, which happens to look
remarkably similar to the MS OLE 2.0 file format in general and
the Word format in particular. (But only the raw text can be
extracted, forget about things as tables and formatting.)

I do know that the MS Word format was removed, by request of MS, from
the "Wotsit File Format Collection" (http://www.wotsit.demon.co.uk).

As a matter of fact, we do have the Word binairy file format at
our office. It's pretty easy to come by, just send a mail to
'wordbff@microsoft.com', state your company, your position, the
usual address stuff and why you want the format (better check
http://www.microsoft.com/ first). After some time, an envelope with
a contract arrives. You sign it, send it back, and again after some
time the docs arrive per UPS next day delivery express service
arrives (and you can put your signature on one of those cool
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy lookalike gadgets). Great service,
I must say.

There are a few quirks:

1. You have to keep the information to your own company and you
   aren't allowed to publish it. So a source distribution probably
   is out of the question. A solution might be, that only a binary
   of a word-to-whatever converter would be available.
2. You're not allowed to make a word processor.
3. The docs suppose that you use the OLE 2.0 API to read the word
   files. We don't have docs on that, but a lot can be learnt from
   the documentation of the German guy. Moreover, it wouldn't be
   a bad idea to be able to read Access and Excel files as well,
   if there were an OLE 2.0 API in FreeBSD.

- Peter
--
Peter Korsten  |  peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl (UUCP)  |  peterk@IAEhv.nl
C/C++/Perl/Java hacker