Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 01:43:14 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>
Cc:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>, Jos Backus <josb@cncdsl.com>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mdmfs mount_mfs compatibility bug?

In message <20010930002525.0255D3E04@bazooka.trit.org>, Dima Dorfman writes:

>The problem with this is that in a bikeshed far, far in the past, some
>people wanted to me able to call it "mount_md" instead of "mount_mfs".
>Of course, we could allow "mfs" and "md", but that seems rather ugly
>(what if someone wants "fish"?).  I'd rather see mount(8) use
>mount_xxx, although if we think that would break something, your patch
>is probably the best solution.

I can't think of any good reason not to change mount(8), but I also
think that mdmfs only needs to support the weird mount_mfs defaults
when invoked with a name of "mount_mfs" or "mfs". People can call
it mount_fish if they like and it will work fine, just with the
mdmfs rather than mount_mfs defaults. The non-compatibility defaults
are better defaults anyway, so they should probably be used in all
cases except those that are necessary for compatibility with
mount_mfs.

Ian