Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:06:52 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG, jprats@cesca.es
Subject:   Re: HA cluster

Jordi Prats wrote:
 > This is my first post on this list. I'm currently studding to change a
 > HA Linux cluster to a HA FreeBSD cluster.
 >
 > Currently I have two (redundant) load balancers with LVS, and several
 > NFS, MySQL and PostgreSQL servers using RedHat cluster suite.
 >
 > What would you recommend to change this Linux setup to a FreeBSD setup?
 > Any experiences with HA clusters with FreeBSD?

Yes.  I have deployed HA clusters with FreeBSD using
Alteon [*] boxes (Nortel).  They support both HA and
load balancing.  Work very well with farms of web
servers, mail servers etc.

Getting NFS to work in a HA environment is rather a
black art.  I recommend third party products such as
NetApp Filers which support HA cluster setups.  And
their OS is BSD-based, too, so it's not totally off-
topic.

PostgreSQL comes with replication tools which are OS-
independant, they work well, too.  There's similar
stuff for MySQL, but it doesn't work as well as
PostgreSQL.  Well, at least that's my impression.

Best regards
   Oliver

PS:  [*] Alteon Networks (not yet Nortel at that time)
produced a nice print ad in 1999.  Unfortunately it
never went into actual print ...  Dunno why ...  :-)

http://www.zeldman.com/adgraveyard/6.html

That web page contains a comment by Jordan Hubbard,
by the way.  I'm not sure if it's "our" FreeBSD JKH,
though.

"FreeBSD is Yoda, Linux is Luke Skywalker"
        -- Daniel C. Sobral