Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 02:52:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Hank Leininger <hlein@progressive-comp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Truth about ssh 1.2.27 vulnerabiltiy]

> owned by root or the UID/EUID of the process.  This is what Solar
> Designer's patches for Linux have done for some time now.  It seems to
> break little (nothing, except POSIX? ;) and is quite effective.  SolarD's

Not sure if your comment SAID that it breaks POSIX or not, but in this day
and age of trying to come up with a standard that people can both believe
in and rely on, "breaking POSIX" isn't something that should be taken too
lightly.  Although there's a lot of quirks and overall dumbness in POSIX,
the rules were meant for a reason.  I don't claim to be a POSIX expert,
but if this did break one of the guidelines, it would be a shame to have
to come back in three or four years and say "Linux and FreeBSD?  Well,
they're sort of POSIX-compliant, but they screwed it up by....."

Maybe there's some other (better) way to solve this problem?

--mike