Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 2004 12:55:57 +0200
From:      Rickard =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Borgm=E4ster?= <doktorn@sub.nu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hard drive problem... S-ATA/ATA and DMA error messages

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 20:03:37 -0700 (PDT)
peter lageotakes <plageotakes@yahoo.com> hit the keyboard and punched:

> --- Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
> >
> > -CURRENT (5.x) does have support for SATA, and may
> > (probably does)
> > work with the 8237.  (I haven't tried it on this
> > motherboard.)
> >
> > -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA>
> >
> Should this be issued as a PR?  According to the
> hardware notes for 4.10:
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.10R/hardware-i386.html
> "VIA 8233, 8235 ATA133, 8237 SATA150".
>
> Pete

PR? What is that...?

Are you suggesting that this is a bug in the kernel/driver rather than
unsupported hardware? Well, dmesg atleast identifies the correct
chipset/driver and it works. Bad, but it works. UDMA/33 isn't so nice and
if I start a high-load disk operation the system is likely to freeze
completely.

If this is a bug, to whom/where should I report it?

--

Rickard