Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 1995 11:34:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   rdump fails w/ error 1

Can someone perhaps shed some light on why this fails?

(I changed the name of the machine to protect the innocent :) )

/sbin/dump 0uBbf 200000 10 somemachine.uoregon.edu:/dev/nrst0 /dev/wd0a
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Fri Dec  1 11:23:50 1995
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/rwd0a (/) to /dev/nrst0 on host somemachine.uoregon.edu
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 17876 tape blocks on 0.09 tape(s).
  DUMP: Protocol to remote tape server botched.
  DUMP: (rmtgets got "mesg: ttyname: Operation not ").
rdump: Lost connection to remote host.
  DUMP: Bad return code from dump: 1

We are trying to back up to a Connor 2GB SCSI tape.  We've tried it under
Win95 and it works OK.  (the machine is a part time fbsd/win95 box)

This machine is a 4/25sx; the other is a pentium/120, both running fbsd
2.1.

I've tried the same command line as root, but the other machine complains
in the messages that permission denied to root to run "rmt".  We've also
tried enabling rexecd in inetd.conf but that doesn't help.

Any ideas?  Suggested mailing lists?  :)

ADVThanksANCE

Doug White                              | Student, University of Oregon
Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Major: Computer Science
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Eugene/Spfld BBS List Publisher