Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:35:14 +0700 (ICT)
From:      Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   User vs Kernel mode

Hi,

I have an application that is running on virtual tty 0, i start it the
following way:

/etc/ttys
ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Door"               cons25  on  secure

/etc/gettytab
Door:   :ht:np:sp#115200:al=door:

/etc/passwd
door:*:0:0:Run the door program:/usr/local/door:/usr/local/door/door

While the application is launched by getty, I would like to know if it
is running in user mode or in kernel mode.

I think in user mode, and so there is no reason why it should affect
other processes, even if my application had some memory management
problems.
Best regards,

Olivier