Date:      20 Dec 2000 11:39:16 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A perlified gensetdefs

Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com> writes:
> I choose perl(1) because I couldn't find a sufficiently efficient
> solution otherwise. I've given it some more thought and can probably do
> it with sed(1), awk(1) and the likes. The only objection I've had so far
> is that we should not depend on perl(1) and I can see why, so I'm going
> to rewrite the script...

Don't be ridiculous - we already depend on Perl for kernel builds, and
have for more than a year, and with a Perl script there's at least a
chance that someone might understand the code (which I consider a good
thing, though there may be some monkeys who would prefer to keep the
kernel to themselves and resent any change that makes it easy for
others to understand and maintain).

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org